Self-hosting can be only democratized once the installation is completely automated and painless with paid support structure. Cloudron is the closest option right now.
Personally I feel iCloud is the gold standard of the suite of services which 90% of the population would need. Lets use that as a baseline and explore options.
To achieve most of these, we need to set up a webDAV server. Currently, nextcloud is probably our only option, but the UI is not great in my opinion.
- Mail: Would not recommend self-hosting
- Contacts: ? (alternative: nextcloud contacts)
- Calendar: ? (alternative: nextcloud calendar)
- Photos: Photo prism
- Drive: ? (alternative: nextcloud)
- Notes: ? (alternative: nextcloud notes)
- Reminders: ? (alternative: nextcloud tasks)
- Office suite (Pages, Numbers & Keynote): Google Docs & libreoffice. Don't intend to self-host.